The Making TRACKS project is developing a permanent collection of hiking trails throughout the United States with a comprehensive list of common species found on each.
We hope to enhance hiking trails by making them into educational nature trails for beginning naturalists, families and schools. Our goal is to foster a deeper appreciation of the natural world and strengthen conservation awareness.
Making TRACKS provides downloadable nature guides and species lists for each trail, as well as resources for schools to make their own educational nature trails on school grounds or in nearby communities.
Making TRACKS Trail Guides:
- Find a Trail Guide in Your Area
- How Making TRACKS Works
- Getting Started Collecting Data
- Add a New Trail
- Adding Species to an Existing Trail
The Making TRACKS Challenge for Schools:
- Register for the Challenge
- About the Challenge
- Fun Things to Do with Kids on the Trail
- Inquiry-Based Trail Activities for Schools
- Short Nature Films